Friday, May 13, 2011

"The Family Scheduele" How It's Working For My Family

Posted by Andria at 3:55 PM
So many of us can agree on the fact that the responsibility of running a household can be very overwhelming at times. From the moment I got married, I imagined that I would be the quintessential "Suzy Homemaker", always completely organized and able to run a household with ease. Well, I had a very rude awakening. It turns out that if you're not exactly the queen of clean before marriage, getting married will not automatically change that lol! And I got a huge reality check that hubbies who weren't tidy growing up won't magically change after marriage either! A lot of our problem was that we were both procrastinators and time wasters. Not a good mix when it comes to being organized and efficient. We had major work to do!

Through the years we had gotten better. Once we had our daughter Aizlynn, we almost didn't have a choice. I would say that by Aizlynn's preschool year we had developed a sort of "system" (if you can call it that) but it still needed tweaking. We would keep the house just "OK" during the week but then we'd spend almost two full days exhausting ourselves playing catch up. Sound familiar? We've gotten a little better then that in the past two years but, I still couldn't help but feel like we were not where we needed to be. Some days would be super productive and some weren't. Although Jeff has gotten much better at helping (and creating less messes) truthfully, I was still handling a little more of the work load and would feel overwhelmed. Another big part of me feeling overwhelmed was that I was still picking up after my six year old WAY too much when she's clearly old enough to start helping out. It just felt some days like we were going in different directions. I decided recently that things NEEDED to change around here. We HAD to make a family schedule and stick to it!

I want my home to run like a well oiled machine and I'm determined to make that happen! I did some research on ways to run my home efficiently, that way I could ensure that all responsibilities are handled without consuming every waking moment of my day and ensure that the workload was even between all of us. I sat down with Jeff one day and together we made our family schedule. We also agreed that sticking to it would be key and really committed ourselves to following it. We are now almost a full week into it and it's been working fantastically!

 
Whether you have a small family or a huge one, I would recommend anyone making a family schedule. If you're interested in creating a schedule for your family, I say go for it! These are some rules of thumb that we've gone by when we created ours and it's totally worked for us. Hope this helps!


* Start with a to-do list- One of the best methods for keeping a family organized is lists. Each day you're going to face several household tasks, such as cleaning, cooking, paying bills, organizing incoming mail etc. so make sure to list these things and include ALL OF IT into your schedule.

* Analyze your priorities- Think of the tasks that you can eliminate or reduce so you can focus on your priorities and essential tasks. Prioritize your to-do list to ensure that those important tasks you've been putting off are taken care of.

* Keep weekly tasks consistent- For example, on our schedule, every Friday the stairs must be vacuumed and every Monday and Friday laundry must be done. That won't change from week to week.

* Delegate!- Written into the family schedule, each person is to be assigned their own specific task that they must stick too. Delegating eases your work load, helps tasks become predictable for everyone (no more need to nag!) and prevents tasks from becoming overwhelming.

* Get the kids involved- Delegate age-appropriate tasks to your kids. When you involve kids in the housework, chores, cooking, cleaning etc. In my opinion it helps to provide a sense of family unity and also teaches kids to develop good work ethics. We've written out a separate, kid-friendly to-do list for Aizlynn and put it on our refrigerator where she can easily see it. She's done a great job in sticking to it!

* Don't forget about free time- Sometimes we get so consumed in just getting things done that we forget about simply relaxing and enjoying eachother. Don't be afraid to include "family time" in your schedule like movie nights, game nights etc.

* Make the commitment!- There's no point in taking the time to create a great family schedule if nobody's going to stick to it! Once the schedule is made have a family meeting and discuss why it's important for everyone to abide by the new schedule. Make a deal with your family that everyone is to be kept accountable. There's nothing wrong with friendly reminders ;)

I'm not an expert on these things but, I do know that so far this has been working out great for us. I hope that what I've shared here will be helpful and I'd love to hear suggestions and tips from you too! 






Photobucket

14 comments:

Lisa on May 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM said...

Great post! To help manage our household we delegate one specific room to each day of the week and 'rescue' it. The house isn't always spotless, but, it is reassuring to know that everything will get cleaned once a week AND the house can get 'put back into place' within 1/2 hour for times when company calls. Another great housekeeping resource is called Large Family Logistics. (and no, you don't have to have a large family to glean from it) :-)

Andria on May 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM said...

Thanks for that resource Lisa!

myyearofhugs.com on May 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM said...

Great post. As I was reading it, all I kept thinking of is how our family now does budgeting. A lot of the same rules apply. Especially "making free time". Vacations and fun need to be included in a budget! Now that I know we can stick to these rules for money, it's time to try it out on the household chores!

Tiff on May 28, 2011 at 11:23 PM said...

Following from the hop! Hope you have a great memorial day!

itgirlsbeware on May 29, 2011 at 1:55 AM said...

Great post! Think I need to make some kind of poster and hang it up. I love being organized but it usually doesent stay that way. New follower. Check out my blog?
http://itgirlsbeware.blogspot.com

Katrina on May 29, 2011 at 4:41 AM said...

Okay, so I have never met another who has an "Aizlynn" !!! Well, actually, we spell our daughter's name with an "s" so it's "Aislynn" and pronounce it with the "s" sound instead of the "z" sound...but close enough, right? She is in Kindergarten, and a few of her classmates and one of her teachers say her name with the "z" sound. I don't mind. I think it sounds rather pretty that way, actually. What I DO mind is when people look at her name and quickly pronounce is "ASS-lynn" -- okay, as IF I would name my child a name that has the word ass in it? Um, no.
Here at home we call her "Aisy" for short. In her preschool class last year, her teacher heard me call her that one day and started writing "A.C." on all her papers. I kept trying to explain to her that it wasn't "A.C." with the initials, but "Aisy" just short for "Aislynn" -- she never got it right, and I have a few dozen preschool works of art with the initials "A.C" on the back. Ah well.

So where did you get that name? We saw it in a baby book. It was spelled "Aislin" in the book but I changed it to the "lynn" ending because I thought it looked nicer that way :) It is pronounced "Ashlyn" in Ireland, but I did not know that until one day at the doctor's office, our appointment was up and the nurse called out "Ashlynn" and I thought, how in the world could she look at the letters AIS and say ASH ? Didn't she know that AIS is phonetically pronounced "ACE"?? So when I corrected her on how to say my daughter's name correctly, she said "A-i-s" is pronounced "Ash" in Ireland, and I looked at her kind of funny, but she said she was from Ireland and YES, it IS pronounced that way. I had to go home and look it up on the internet...and what do you know. She was right. So I named my daughter Ashlyn without even knowing it. Oh well. Here in the U.S. we say it "Aislynn" and if ever we take a trip to Ireland, then they can call her Ashlyn.

Anyways, great post! We have a large family (9 kids) and keeping to a schedule isn't always easy, but I will say that our best days are those that are scheduled. I have a large white board in our kitchen and before I go to bed each night, I write the next day's schedule out for everyone to see. This helps tremendously! Every child can glance at the daily schedule and pretty much can see how are day is going to be - who has to be where at what time, etc.

I am a new follower of your blog :) Saw your link on the Say Hi Sunday blog hop!

Katrina
They All Call Me Mom

Katrina on May 29, 2011 at 4:50 AM said...

I just read your "Our Family" post about the origin of your daughter's (and my daughter's) name. That is a different one than the one I have:

AISLIN
Gender: Feminine
Usage: Irish
Pronounced: ASH-lin
Variant of AISLING

I guess there are different ones, because this one doesn't mention the
"Eyez" sound for the beginning, but rather the "ash" sound. Interesting. Either way, I love the name!

Phases Of Me on May 29, 2011 at 10:46 AM said...

Great post! Dropping by from the blog hop!

Heavenly Savings on May 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM said...

Cute Blog! Happy Sunday! I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog as well! If you like it you can follow back! Thanks! Hope to blog with you again soon!

Http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com

cajunlicious on May 29, 2011 at 2:53 PM said...

Hi! Following you from the weekend blog hop! I Hope you visit my Cajun blog and return the follow!
- Jessica @ http://cajunlicious.com

Marlee on May 29, 2011 at 9:59 PM said...

Great post, I loved it! Found you at the Sunday Blog Hop and am glad I did! Am a happy new follower!

http://www.marleeindebt.blogspot.com

The Mommy Therapy on May 30, 2011 at 12:08 AM said...

Figuring all this out has been one of the most challenging things I have had to do. I am constantly trying to balance the onslaught of tasks I feel I need to do in the home with the time I want to spend with the kids and the time I want to spend doing things for me. It's tough. A schedule definitely sounds like a great place to start, but your point about actually sticking to it is so true, it doesn't matter if you don't use it.

Visiting from the Sunday Blog Hop!

It's OK to be WEIRD! on May 30, 2011 at 12:31 AM said...

We have a friend with a daughter named Aizlynn and it's such a pretty name. My hubby is Jeff too, LOL!

We have 3 kiddos, and I am not a 'well-oiled machine' or 'schedule' kind of person in general. I know things go better with a schedule so I do have some sort of schedule, but I'm pretty awful at keeping up with it for any length of time. Kudos for getting more organized. It's a process, and it changes as the kids grow, too. Mine are now 9, 10 and 11 years old, and it's pretty dynamic - always changing a bit here and there.

Hopping by and following from Say HI Sunday! HI!!!

~ Raylene @ It's OK to be WEIRD!

Denise on May 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM said...

New public follower here from Say Hi Sunday. Nice blog and tips. I would appreciate you following back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I would also appreciate if you would like me in facebook http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and in twitter @DeniseLillaRose. I always follow back. Just leave me a note so I know you stopped by.

Post a Comment