Tuesday, December 7, 2010

How I Stay Thin During the Holidays!

Posted by Andria at 11:44 AM
Haha, I see that title got your attention but, now that I have it, I'm going to rephrase here; No it's not necessarily about being "thin" but rather about being fit and healthy. Big difference! Trust me; I have some thin and VERY unhealthy friends so that is not what I'm talking about. This is also about not having to cry all through January and February every time you get on the scale because you inhaled eggnog and cookies like they were oxygen!

You may be thinking, "Oh great, tips from a skinny (bleep) who could probably eat her weight in Twinkies and not gain a pound"! Well, here's an interesting bit of info many people don't know; In my early adolescence, I weighed 147 lbs. and was a size 10 in jeans. Not a huge deal if you're a full grown woman with breast, hips and all that good stuff. I was 13 years old and not fully grown yet. At that tender age I brought myself from a 10 to a 5/6. Then the following year I was down to a 3 and eventually I was a size 1! I'm going to be real with you here and say that the first year, I didn't go about it in a very healthy way which made it hell but, long story short, I took it upon myself to get truly healthy and fit and have kept the extra weight off ever since even after having a baby! Fads DON’T WORK, lifestyle changes do! So yes, I believe I can have an opinion about this subject lol!

Next, I'm going to make a pretty uncommon but, very true statement so here goes; I'm actually my most fit during the holidays/winter! Yep, you heard me and I'm going to tell you how and why that is. That way, ya'll don't think I'm completely full of it and never visit my blog again lol. Now keep in mind, any tips I share with you in this post are strictly based on my own personal experience and I am NOT A DOCTOR! Hehe, gotta throw in the disclaimer ;)

First thing- DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST!- Nothing will screw up your body's metabolism faster than skipping meals, Especially breakfast. In fact, studies have shown that breakfast should be your largest meal. When you skip breakfast or any meal for that matter, you're putting your body in starvation mode so then when you finally give your body food, it's quicker to store up the fat from the food because now your body doesn’t know the next time it will be fed. I hope I made sense just now! it's almost as a protection mechanism. Hate eating heavy in the morning? Make a smoothie or something but, get your body out of starvation mode!

Second- HAVE THAT SNACK!- No not the chips lol! Again, it is proven that eating five to six times a day is actually best for your metabolism. Don't freak out on me though. I'm not talking five to six full meals. In between breakfast, lunch and dinner, you should be eating HEALTHY snacks to keep the "fire burning". Think of your body as a wood burning furnace or something. Every time the fire (your metabolism) starts to die down, eating a healthy snack is like throwing in a log. It's fuel! Your energy will be much better for it too. And YES, I do eat this often so it works!

FOR HEAVAN'S SAKE, DON'T DEPRIVE YOURSELF!- Believe it or not, I never deprive myself of anything anymore. Deprevision will surely equal a major binge fest (in my experience) so go ahead, have a cookie... A COOKIE! Alright, have that second one too but, not five, six or seven! Besides, Christmas would really suck if you couldn't have a few goodies right? It's all about moderation.

PORTION CONTROL- This kind of ties in to the tip above. When your stomach is only the size of your fist, packing a huge dinner plat to the rim and going back for seconds is not necessary. Why do we do this?! Well, here's what happens. You pretty much inhale your food and pack on another plate faster than your brain can even receive the message that your stomach is full! Before know it, you've almost eaten yourself sick! Believe me, I’ve been there. Grab the smaller plate, eat it slowly and drink a full glass of water. Give your body time to feel full.

That brings me to my next point- DRINK YOUR WATER- What can I say, hydration is super important, you know you should do it, it helps you feel full and even helps your metabolism. DRINK IT!

Last but never least KEEP ACTIVE- This is where I keep my most fit and why I actually look better during this time of year. Living in sunny Orlando Florida, hot summers are not very motivating. Getting hot and sweaty is the last thing I want to do although I do it. I will say that it’s not as often as during fall and winter. There's definitely something about the cool, crisp air that makes me want to go for a nice, brisk power walk! I actually find myself exercising more often during the Holidays for that reason which in turn, keeps those pesky Holiday pounds off. See it makes sense right? Even if I don't leave the house, there's always that slight coolness that creeps in making it a "nicer" at home workout. Putting me aside, it's so important to keep active. We all know this. Even if it's in small amounts, just remember it's always better than nothing.

So there you have it kiddos! I've spilled all my secrets lol! I'm teasing. But seriously, I want to say that my goal in writing this is NOT to challenge you lovely people in to dropping 15 lbs. before New Year's! It's not even necessarily about losing ANY weight. It's about not gaining tons of weight so not only can you enjoy your Holidays guilt free but, also have a good head start for 2011 :) I hope I've helped even if it's in the smallest way!




Photobucket

7 comments:

Carrie with Children on December 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM said...

Great tips! :)

Andria on December 8, 2010 at 4:17 PM said...

Thanks Carrie!

Kate on December 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM said...

Great posts and tips!! :) I'm a new follower

xoxo
Kate
http://loveiseverywhere.blogspot.com/

Ashley (Ashley's Bookshelf) on December 20, 2010 at 10:43 PM said...

Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

I am a new follower and I would love if you would come and follow me back at my new blog. Also check out my giveaways while you are there!

Passions by Ashley

Jackie on December 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM said...

These are really good tips and ones that we should all follow no matter what time of year it is!

Following from Follow Me, Chickadee!

Liz on December 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM said...

I agree with you! I am sooooo bad with the water intake. I think I would eat less if I drank more. Thanks for the post!

Following you via Tuesday Blog Hop from lil-LIZ-bits, lil-bits from my Homeschooling Navy Wife Life Mom-prenuer adventures. I would appreciate a follow back! Love to see you on Facebook too!

scooterandlolly.com on December 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM said...

Thanks for the reminder! Great post...

I'm following! Would love for you to follow back.

Post a Comment