Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Make Me a Meal Planning Mama"!

Posted by Andria at 4:54 PM
If there's one thing I definitely have no self-discipline in, it's meal planning. I have looked upon you oh so "Bri Van De Kamp-ish, I plan my meals a month ahead" mommies with envy for the simple fact that I am awful with meal planning! AWFUL! Don't get me wrong, I love to cook, but find that I'm constantly cooking on a whim. I need some help in this area which is the purpose of this post and I'm sure there’s millions of other women out there who do to... I tell myself this to make myself feel better...:)

Let me just dig a little deeper here and expose one of the main issues that relates to this dilemma. I go grocery shopping with a planned budget and a list. Then I come out with an extra twenty five random things I didn't plan to buy and I choke back tears as I look at my receipt realizing I've once again spent way more than I wanted too. I feel the need to bring that into light since It's my understanding that sticking to the grocery list, budgeting and meal planning all go hand in hand.

I realize that if I plan my meals, I would be forced to stick with the list thus saving money. Simple right? Apparently not for me! I think part of the problem is a lack of resources and the fact that I actually find the act or grocery shopping therapeutic. Well, I find any kind of shopping therapeutic but that's a different post for a different day hehe!

Anyway, to all you mama's who have it together out there, what are your recommendations? Do you have favorite sites that have helped you and what about some favorite coupon sites? Which of you out there actually uses a computer program to organize your meals? I'm on a quest to becoming a more efficient and organized person/wife/mother. I think jumping on the meal planning bandwagon will help me get one step closer to reaching that goal. Any and all advice that could help make me a meal planning mama would be helpful for me and my wallet!




Photobucket

8 comments:

ericadouglas on November 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM said...

I was really good with planning meals ahead of time - we had pasta on Mondays, fish or chicken on Tuesdays, breakfast for dinner on Wednesdays, chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes on Thursdays, beef or frozen pizza on Fridays, leftovers on Saturdays and we ate with family on Sundays. This worked for nearly two years. Then I got pregnant and it all went out the window. I never know what I'm going to want to eat until I get home and then I want food IMMEDIATELY so...it's a lot more complicated now. The above plan worked for us because it was a plan but it was still flexible. Breakfast for dinner might mean scrambled eggs and pancakes or fried eggs and hashbrowns or cinnamon rolls or waffles or French toast or or or... you get the point. Wednesdays are also our crazier day and breakfast foods cook relatively quickly, so it worked well. My husband Does. NOT. Eat. Vegetables. so I tend to eat lots of fruits and veggies during the day and then eat meat and carbs at night. Best of luck with your meal planning! You'll find something that will work for you.

Andria on December 1, 2010 at 12:09 PM said...

Thanks so much for the feedback :) I love breakfast for dinner! I think I'll def make that part of my menu once I get this whole thing going.

Johnna on December 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM said...

I only plan dinners personally. We don't eat breakfast and we usually just eat leftovers or something quick and easy for lunches. To do my meal planning I just get my cookbooks, the ad to the grocery store I'm going to, and any coupons I have saved and go through and choose 10 meals for the next 2 weeks. Then I check my fridge and pantry for what I do have and make a list for the things I don't have! I also buy in bulk (a 3lb roll of ground beef, family size pack of chicken breasts, etc) and try to use the meat for several different meals. It's a HUGE money saver! We've been spending anywhere between 50-100 dollars less at the store!

Good luck mama! :)

Andria on December 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM said...

Thanks Johnna! I can't believe you've been saving 50-100 dollars! I like the 10 meals for 2 weeks thing ;)

Sara on December 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM said...

Very cute blog! I am your newest follwer from Fun Follow Fridday. Stop by my blog at www.skinnyonadime.com. I mealplan two weeks at a time to be on the same schedule as my pay. Try first picking your favorite meals for the week and make a list after you do that. Then click on some of the recipe links and start exploring and trying new things. I try to add one new recipe a week to keep it interesting.

Kristie on December 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM said...

Following from Fun Follow Friday! I used to meal plan two weeks at a time, but I am down to one week. My advice would be to do it on Google Calendar. I also keep a master list of recipes in a Word document. So I when I go to meal plan I have a list to pull from and don't have to always think.

April on December 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM said...

hi! i'm following from the Fun Follow Friday blog hop! i'd love if you would visit my blog and follow back :)

best,
april

www.marineparents.blogspot.com

Heather on December 4, 2010 at 9:03 PM said...

I Have a couple of tips. First I bring CASH to shop with only. Then I can't go over my budget because that would be embarassing to stand at the checkout with not enough money.

I also use www.thegrocerygame.com to get the best deals. After I see what is on sale I plan meals around those foods for the week.

I used to plan one sandwich night and one frozen food night a week as I have a lot of kids and I work full time. Lately I haven't been doing that...maybe I need to start back up.

There you have it. That's what i do.

Post a Comment