Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fall in My Family

Posted by Andria at 11:48 AM



Thought I write a post about what fall entails for my family. This BY FAR is my most favorite time of year and it's also the time of the year when the Briggette household is overwhelmed (in a good way) with activities! First of all, it should go without saying that Floridians very much look forward to fall and winter. What's great about living in Orlando during the fall is that the weather cools down in a way that's just right. Its still warm during the day,but when evening hits, the air is delicious. It FINALLY loses that hot, muggy, sticky feel which by the way, really sucks when you're tyring to get away with silky straight locks! Yeah, you curly/wavy haired girls know what I'm talking about! Speaking of looking cute, does anyone else but me absolutely LOVE fall fashion?! The colors, the boots the accessories! Ive already started my shopping ;) Also decorating the house is so much fun. I've already got the fall/Halloween vibe going on here complete with a "pumpkin pie" scented wax tart from Yankee Candle. Yes, in my home, it must SMELL like fall too!

Anyway, getting back to the activities. One of the first great things that happens is that Oct. 5th is my wedding anniversary! This means a beautiful dinner at one of our favorite restaurants followed by a night on the town. P.S this year marks 7 years married! Next, comes my birthday on Oct. 11th. Because of the fact that we have so much going on in October, we usually just tie that in with another family outing such as the Food and Wine Festival. Which brings me to our next fall tradition. Every year we attend Disney's Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. This is a tradition that was started by my parents. We'd go every year from the time I was a young teen and now I've carried it into my marriage. It's absolutely fabulous! Other than the fact that you're at Disney (hello!) you get to sample exotic foods and wines from places all over the world. It runs into November so we usually go more than once. I can't wait!

Lets see, what else? Ah yes, lets not forget fall treats! Now I had always done fall and even Christmas baking but last year me and my friend Jennifer at "Double Duty Mommy" took it to a new level! What was supposed to be just a fun little baking activity for our girls turned into what I like to call a "Supper Halloween Baking Extravaganza"! We made goblins, ghouls, witches and so much more out of cookies, marshmallows and whatever else you can thing of! It was hard work but so much fun. We're sure to be doing it again sometime soon.

There's also an outing to some local fines arts event, musical or play that we usually attend although I'm undecided about which one this year (#fail). And or course, there's our family tradition of visiting our local pumpkin patch. This is one of Aizlynn's favs. I think there's something about a child seeing a sea of pumpkins everywhere that just makes them go crazy lol! We have never bought a pumpkin from the grocery store. First of all, I would rather support someones business and secondly, I just simply think it's not as fun. Plus there are so many great photo ops. Obviously, that brings us to our next tradition of pumpkin carving! Last year, our pumpkin turned out amazing ,but FYI the bumpy/lumpy pumpkins are not the best for carving. My hand was about to fall off trying to carve it!

The highlight for our family during the month of October is yet another Disney event. We LOVE going to "Mikey's Not so Scary Halloween Party". The ambiance is amazing, the decor, the characters, the parade, the look on my little girls face! Children (and adults) can dress up in costumes and collect candy in a safe and family friendly environment which is important to me. We look forward SO much to going each year. Normally we go sometime in Oct. and do Halloween day at a local festival because its near to impossible to reserve tickets to this event on the 31st. HOWEVER, we are so thrilled that we bought our tickets very early so that this year, we will be going to "Mikey's Not so Scary Halloween Party" on Halloween day!!! Its not cheap ,but it's so worth it! we also do "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas" but that another post :)

So, that almost wraps it up for Oct. and I STILL didn't say too much about Nov. PHEW! Told you we have a lot going on in the fall. So, what are your family traditions during this awesome time of year? Please share! We might even get new ideas from each other :D


BTW my next wordless Wednesday post will be titled "At this time last year," and you'll get to see pictures of some last year's fun so be sure to check back in!!!





2 comments:

Emily, Anthro Doula on September 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM said...

Wow that Disney Food and Wine Festival sounds fabulous! how much is it? The cost of admission to Epcot? Is it worth driving over from Tampa for?

Andria on September 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM said...

Its totaly worth the drive! The cost is the same as regular admission but you do have to pay for the samples. Bring about $40 with you atleast. Best time to go is early evening IMO. You would totaly love it!

Post a Comment