Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What's Truly Important

Posted by Andria at 10:32 AM



I recently had a fantastic mother/daughter day with Aizlynn that I felt was "blog worthy" due to the always amazing lesson I take from almost every time we bond. The day started of simple. Coffee, breakfast, Aizlynn looking adorable at the table with her messy ponytail and princess pj's. I sat in the living room with my hubs on my left and my coffee in hand when I decided to tell Aizlynn to get her ballet outfit on. She already knew what I was getting at so she excitedly went up stairs to change saying "YAY, Barbie ballet dvd"! She has had this "Barbie and the Twelve Dancing Princesses" instructional dvd since she was two. Its one of her favorite things to do and of course I love to watch her. I figured, why waste a precious opportunity to watch my little girl dance while I relax with my morning coffee instead of watching some dumb tv program. It was a win/win. She's very good at it by the way! I think I may have a little dancer on my hands ;)
Jeff left for work shortly after. I sat there thinking of all the things I could do around the house and all the projects I need to start and then I told myself, "Leave it". Things like this will always be there waiting. It was more important for me to give my daughter ALL of me. On my day off, Aizlynn deserved to not have to share me ANYTHING especially the every day crap that makes one feel like they'll "just die" if they don't get it done. I made the right choice for sure. We had such a good time just being. I turned everything off in the house and even made the decision not to answer my phone if it wasn't TRULY important.
I took her to the mall that afternoon, but not so much for the shopping (although we did ;) We spent alot of the time walking hand in hand, being silly and having some very humorous conversation. I let her direct the conversation for most of the day actually and decided I should allow her to more often. It never ceases to amaze me how wise this little girl can be! When you really listen to your child's thought and feelings, it's a precious experience (too many parents miss out on). After that, I watched her play at the little outdoor play area, smiling, waving and shouting "Uh huh, I see you baby"and " OH, you're SO fast"! I was reminded of this incredible quote from one of my favorite parenting books. "You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around-and why his parents will always wave back" - Willian D. Tammes.

We finished there and went to yet another park, a more lake and trees kind of park where I got some shots of her walking by the water. I also let her take some pictures of me for fun (most were completely off center lol). There was a slight breeze that day so it just felt perfect. We ended the day with dinner, a bubble bath and a story. Did I take her to 4 different theme parks, drown her in junk food and buy her unnecessary things? NO. Sometimes the simplest of days can be the most rewarding. What did I take from this experience? That sometimes it's better to let your child entertain you instead of the television. Sometimes you just need to look at the dishes in the sink or the laundry in the basket and say "screw it"! Sometimes we as parents need to just shut up and let our kids talk without correcting every little thing they say. Sometimes we as parents need to stop thinking that the only thing interesting going on is on a social networking site and instead find the awe and wonder of just watching your child play at the park (REALLY watch them). I'm grateful that for the most part, I don't allow all myself to get to absorbed in all the negative things I just mentioned, but have I been perfect, NO. I'm just so glad that days like this happen so that I can have that little whisper in my ear that says "See this, right here, right now, is what's truly important".

3 comments:

One Love Mama on April 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM said...

My to-do list is always a mile long and it is so important to just scratch it and put your child first. Sounds like you had an excellent day! I'm in no rush, but completely excited, to have a conversation with my daughter (she's only 10 months now).

Laina on May 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM said...

Thanks so much for this reminder. What a wonderful day to put in your memory bank. I struggle with these things as well, so much to get done and missing out on some special times with our kids. The time is now. Soon enough they'll be in school, then graduated. Thanks for the reminder to make the time for the things that matter.I will check up on your blog. I really like what you have to say, I feel I can relate and I'm sure many other moms out there can too! :)
I am new to the blogging world. I just created my blog last week about my life as a Navy wife and stay at home mom. Check it out if you want!
My Blog: http://reflectionsofanavywife.blogspot.com/

Stephanie on May 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM said...

I just realized that I read you EVERY day...or check in everyday...and I wasn't "following" you....sooo now I am!

Post a Comment